» upcoming (01/18)

» specials (01/18)

» eurozone

» other europe

» scandinavia

» commonwealth

» rest of world

» 2 euro coins

» eurostar issues

» bi-metal coins

» gold coins

» bullion issues

» low mintages

» color & shape

» medals

» ancients

» arts & sciences

» history

» religion

» flora & fauna

» sports

» transportation

» lunar calendar

» state series

» eu topics

» organizations

» capsules

 
 

Search
Search Shopping Lists
Please enter name below to find public Wish Lists

2007 Luxembourg €2 UNC Coin "Royal Palace"

RSM Price: $7.00
Item Number: LX07BMBU1
  • Mint: Monnaie de Paris
  • Denomination: €2
  • Quality: Uncirculated
  • Issue limit: 1 million pcs.
  • Alloy: Base Metal
  • Diameter: 25.75 mm
  • Weight: 8.5 grams
  • Box/Capsule: No/Yes
  • Certificate: No
The Grand Ducal Palace is a palace in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is the official residence of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and where he performs most of his duties as head of state of the Grand Duchy.

The present building originates from 1572, when it was built as the town hall by Adam Roberti. It was renovated in 1728 and extended in 1741, before becoming the headquarters of the Forest Department in 1795, during the French administration of Luxembourg. From 1817, the palace became the residence of the Governor, the representative of the Dutch Grand Dukes. As such, it was used by Prince Henry, during his time as Lieutenant-Representative of Luxembourg. The building's interior was renovated in 1883, in preparation of a visit by Grand Duke William III and his wife, Grand Duchess Emma. With the accession of the House of Nassau-Weilburg in 1890, the palace was reserved exclusively for the Grand Duke and his family. Under Grand Duke Adolphe, it was comprehensively renovated and a new wing, contained family rooms and guest accommodation, was built by the Belgian architect Gedeon Bordiau and the Luxembourgian state architect, Charles Arendt.

During the German occupation in the Second World War, the Grand Ducal Palace was used by the Nazis as a concert hall and tavern. Extensive damage was done and much of the palace's furniture and art collections was ruined. With the return of Grand Duchess Charlotte from exile in 1945, the palace once again became the seat of the Grand Ducal Court. Under the supervision of Charlotte, the palace was redecorated during the 1960s. It was thoroughly restored between 1991 and 1996. The interior of the Palace has been regularly renovated to match modern tastes and standards of comfort.

Comments, Questions & Reviews

(0 Ratings, 0 Reviews)
PayPal Logo

 
Your cart is empty.
 
 

» issue dates

» euro conversions

» faqs

» glossary

» quality definitions

» how to order

» price matching



Mailing Lists

become a fan and be notified on the most recent news and special offers